Hair Tissue Mineral Analysis (HTMA)HTMA is regarded as one of the most valuable screening tools available in everyday and preventative health care.
We are passionate advocates of using HTMA as a Functional Test in our Practice!
HTMA stands for Hair Tissue Mineral Analysis.
This Functional Test gives an insight into overall mineral levels and the comparative ratio between these levels to determine overall health and vitality.
Minerals are the foundational BASE of our health and it has been said that a mineral imbalance may be the root cause of most health issues.
HTMA gives insight into how well your body is responding to stress (seemingly unavoidable with Modern Living)
and well as what minerals you are deficient in or have a toxic imbalance.
HTMA is your personal biochemical blueprint and also indicates your heavy metal load
that may currently be compromising your body’s’ ability to function optimally.
There are so many modalities that support optimal health.
From our experience in Clinic when we investigate underlying mineral imbalances and work towards correcting them and bringing them into optimal reference ranges (which can take time) clients respond extremely well. Symptomatic issues can be addressed and also preventative measures which can be very empowering and set your body up well for the future. The process of re-balance supports adrenal healing, liver function and gets the metabolism running better.
This gentle healing process gives the body strength to handle issues like parasites, EBV and Lyme as it supports the body’s’ natural detoxification pathways. By rebuilding first before attacking any underlying infections there is less stress on the body. HTMA is not used in isolation, current pathology results need also to be reviewed and in conjunction with an Initial Consultation to investigate underlying symptoms (as a priority) and diet and lifestyle factors.
Why test for minerals?
Minerals are essential for growth, healing, vitality and wellbeing. They provide structural support in bones and teeth, and they maintain the body’s pH and water balance, nerve activity, muscle contractions, energy production and enzyme reactions. They are the basic ‘spark plugs’ of life.
Ideally, we should get all the minerals we need from a balanced diet. Unfortunately, today this is rarely possible. Modern farming techniques, fertilisers and depleted soils reduce the mineral content of foods. Environmental pollutants, chemical food additives and stressful lifestyles also have a detrimental effect on our nutritional status.
Many health conditions are aggravated by mineral imbalances and toxic metal excesses, including cardiovascular disease, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, migraines, learning difficulties and hyperactivity in children, to name just a few.
What is the Test useful for?
- Replenishing crucial minerals vital for your health and well-being. (Vitamin= Vital Minerals)
- Healing your Adrenals and Thyroid
- Fixing your Metabolism
- Balancing your Hormones
- Blood Sugar Regulation
- Much More
Benefits of HTMA
- Safe, scientific, non-invasive pathology test. Perfect for children!
- Reliable data on more than 35 nutrient and toxic minerals, and over 25 important mineral ratios.
- Valuable health information often not revealed in standard blood and urine tests.
- Discovery of nutrient mineral imbalances or toxic mineral excesses that may be affecting your health.
- Personalised patient and doctor interpretive test reports that assess your current mineral status, highlight areas of concern and recommend dietary changes and supplements for improved health and wellbeing.
How does the Test work?
What does the Hair Analysis test for?
The HTMA gives an indication of how the body is excreting minerals (detoxing).
- Metabolic Rate/Nervous system health: Calcium/Phosphorus
- Vitality, Adrenals, and Life/Death Ratio: Sodium/Potassium
- Thyroid: Calcium/Potassium
- Hormone (Estrogen/Testosterone/Progesterone): Zinc/Copper
- Adrenals: Sodium/Magnesium
- Blood Sugar/Cardiovascular Health: Calcium/Magnesium
- Heavy Metal Load/Excretion
These comparative ratios provide an insight into your personal biochemistry.
We review pathology and provide details on additional bloods that may be needed to consult on your current health profile. There are also additional Functional Tests (see link) that may also consolidate your current health picture. Each Functional Test will be explained to you so you as the client understands the importance of digging a little bit deeper and investigating further. You can never underestimate the value of the correct Functional Test.
What does the Report Include?
We currently work with Interclinical Laboratories. Reports provided are the most advanced reports available in Australia today. All hair tissue samples are analysed using state of the art techniques by Trace Elements Inc., a US federally licensed and certified clinical laboratory specialising in the hair tissue mineral analysis. It draws on all of our laboratory’s expertise and extensive experience in analysing and interpreting trace mineral patterns. The report includes two parts:
- A detailed, personalised patient’s report: easy-to-read test results for at least 36 essential and toxic minerals, including reference ranges; 27 mineral ratio results; discussion of nutrient and toxic mineral levels and ratios; individual metabolic type results and discussion; and personalised dietary recommendations.
How do I begin?
3 Simple Steps
2. Take a Hair Sample
3. Send a Copy of your Application form
together with your Hair Sample
How to take a Hair Sample
- Cut hair with clean stainless steel scissors. Thinning scissors can be used on short hair.
- Cut small amounts of hair from the nape of the neck and/or several other locations on the back of the scalp. Cut hair as close to the scalp as possible.
- If the sampled hair is less than 4cm long, keep all of it for testing. If the hair is longer than this, cut off and keep the 4cm of hair that was growing closest to the scalp (discard the excess). Hair sample can be made up of 3x 4cm pieces from various parts of the scalp,
the total amount being close to 2 tablespoons.
- The hair needs to be clean, well-rinsed, untreated and uncoloured. If hair is treated or coloured, wait six to eight weeks
and take a sample from the freshly grown untreated hair.
- Place the hair sample in a clean, clearly labelled paper envelope or sachet.
To download and print these instructions – Click here
How much hair?
The laboratory requires 0.5gm (500mg) or about two (heaped) tablespoon of hair for testing.
What kind of hair?
Head hair from the back of the head is recommended for testing. Freshly grown haircut from close to the scalp reflects the body’s most recent metabolic activity.
Men with short hair- best to grow a little and make the collection from across all parts of the scalp (to avoid bald spots). No beard clippings, please.
Where do I send my hair and application?
Send a Copy of your Application form together with your Hair Sample (in an enclosed envelope, no plastic) to:
PO Box 751
Cremorne Junction NSW 2090
Our 5 Pillars to Optimal Health
Is a whole body approach to healing- our focus is on whole food Nutrition, and investigating the delicate balance between minerals (and not just using isolated synthetic supplements which can ultimately lead to imbalance and tank your adrenals). The key elements to our protocols are gut healing (digestion, absorption of key nutrients), support liver function (detoxification), limiting toxic environmental exposure, and most importantly managing stress. Our Practitioners are trained in how to interpret these results and can advise on your best path to move forward with your health.